|Windows 10 April 2018 Update
|Architecture||x86, x64, ARM64|
|BIOS date||2018-01-19 (Compiled)|
|Key||Use a Windows 10 Retail serial|
|Timebomb||2018-07-02 (+164 days)|
Windows 10 Build 17083 is the fourteenth Insider Preview Build of Windows 10 April 2018 Update. This build was released to Windows Insiders in the Fast Ring on 2018-01-24.
New Features and Changes
- Added a new Fonts section in the Personalization part of the Settings app. Unlike the Fonts applet found in Control Panel, it can preview multi-color and variable fonts, as well as emojis. When a font is clicked on, it takes you to a details page that provides previews for each of the different types of the selected font, along with information about that font. A default preview string is used, but the user can make a custom preview string. There is also a separate variable font details page present as well.
- Microsoft Store has a new section for fonts.
- A "Diagnostic Data Viewer" can be enabled in the Settings app under Privacy -> Diagnostics & feedback. The app itself is not installed locally and when you try to open it, it takes you to the Microsoft Store instead.
- Made it easier to delete activities from Timeline. You can either delete everything from a given hour or an entire day.
- You can now sync your Timeline activity to the cloud to sync across devices.
- Quiet Hours has been renamed to "Focus assist". You can now switch between the three focus assist modes by right-clicking the Action Center icon on the taskbar.
- You can now set up Windows Hello from the lock screen by clicking on the Windows Hello tile under Sign-in options.
- Added the ability to see UWP app version numbers in Settings.
- Added a dropdown menu to the Startup settings page located in the Apps section, so that apps can be sorted by name, state or startup impact.
- Added an extended user-mode API for third-party virtualization stacks and applications to create and manage partitions at the hypervisor level, configure memory mappings for the partition, and create and control execution of virtual processors.
- Added the ability to make scrollbars always stay visible (except for the Start menu in this build).
- You can choose to either enable or disable the color filters hotkey.
- You can now decide which UWP apps can access your pictures, videos or documents folders.
- Various improvements to Ease of Access, as well as general improvements, changes and bug fixes.
- The Sets feature was removed from RS4 in this build.
- If a VPN client installed via the Microsoft Store is present, it won't work after upgrading to this build.
- If you install a font from the Microsoft Store and then install a new build, the Store package will remain installed, but the fonts within the package are missing. The workaround is to uninstall the font package from the Apps section in Settings, and then reinstall the font from the Store.
- You can't open a InPrivate Microsoft Edge window from a Mixed Reality headset. A regular window gets created instead.
- There's a "Use OpenSSH (Beta) for remote deployment" switch in Settings. It is non-functional and turning it on will break remote deployment to the system until its turned off.
- Audio playback from Microsoft Edge is sometimes unexpectedly muted.
- Win32 apps pinned to the Start menu have blank live tiles that show only a name starting with "W~".
- Using Task View to switch to an app may result in touch not working correctly in the selected app.
- The link for “Advanced display settings” is missing in Settings. Open the Run command and then input
rundll32 display.dll,ShowAdapterSettings 0.
- Overriding the default keyboard layout is not possible when there are any unavailable keyboards in any language under Settings > Time & Language > Region & language. This usually happens when roaming settings from other PC's that use third-party input methods or non-default keyboards. This causes the list under “Override for default input method” (located under Settings -> Devices -> Typing -> Advanced keyboard settings) to be empty. To workaround this bug, install or remove any keyboard layouts that are unavailable.