ReactOS is an open source operating system by the ReactOS Foundation. Unlike Unix-like operating systems, ReactOS re-implements the NT architecture and Windows API as a standalone OS. Its goal is to reach program and driver compatibility with Windows. As of 2017, the support level is on par with Windows Server 2003 SP2.
This article only covers major releases and includes Nightly Builds.
In 1996, a group formed under the name FreeWin95 with the intention of making an open source Windows 95 clone. Development on FreeWin95 halted soon after, as source code contributions never materialized. After a short hiatus, the group reformed in 1998 and changed the project's name to ReactOS. Most development is made gradually, with releases set every 2-6 months. A version number is assigned to major releases (such as 0.4.6), while nightly builds and source code builds use their commit number instead.
ReactOS is still considered alpha-quality software and only recommended for evaluation and testing purposes. Installation, hardware detection, booting, and running programs can suffer from bugs. As the operating system is open source, it can be freely built from source code, or downloaded from the nightly builds website.
Virtualization support exists for QEMU, however, it can run on other hypervisors. It's possible to install ReactOS on a physical machine, however, this configuration can be risky.
ReactOS 0.4.0 is rumored to be released in Holidays 2015, it's possible to download a nightly build from the ReactOS website though. It will bring many new features, the major ones being a new Explorer and Application Manager. ReactOS 0.4 will also improve sound, Wi-Fi and USB support.
The Reporting Bugs is called: JIRA ReactOS, This can also sending Error Report for Including Screenshots, such as CORE-XXXXX (which means X Letter is Number).
You may also Click here to Report the Bugs, it requires Login first if you want Join ReactOS.
Some Programs are included, Despite you can use programs by using ReactOS Applications Manager
Using ReactOS Applications Manager provides download the rappmgr.cab, lot major Programs will be added that can be tests.
By Depending Versions for ReactOS, it was First Release on 0.0.7, It was Released on 1998-07-20.
- ReactOS 0.1.0 - Released 2003-02-01
- ReactOS 0.1.1 - Released 2003-03-30
- ReactOS 0.1.2 - Released 2003-07-02
- ReactOS 0.1.3 - Released 2003-08-30
- ReactOS 0.1.4 - Released 2003-10-08
- ReactOS 0.1.5 - Released 2003-11-13
- ReactOS 0.2.0 - Released 2004-01-25
- ReactOS 0.2.1 - Released 2004-03-03
- ReactOS 0.2.2 - Released 2004-04-27
- ReactOS 0.2.3 - Released 2004-06-26
- ReactOS 0.2.4 - Released 2004-09-13
- ReactOS 0.2.5 - Released 2005-01-02
- ReactOS 0.2.6 - Released 2005-04-09
- ReactOS 0.2.7 - Released 2005-08-21
- ReactOS 0.2.8 - Released 2005-10-29
- ReactOS 0.2.9 - Released 2005-12-22
End of Version 0.2.9, Continuing to 0.3.0
- ReactOS 0.3.0 - Released 2006-08-27
- ReactOS 0.3.1 - Released 2007-03-10
- ReactOS 0.3.2 - Branch Created, but Never Released
- ReactOS 0.3.3 - Released 2007-07-21
- ReactOS 0.3.4 - Released 2008-01-22
- ReactOS 0.3.5 - Released 2008-06-30
- ReactOS 0.3.6 - Released 2008-08-07
- ReactOS 0.3.7 - Released 2008-11-04
- ReactOS 0.3.8 - Released 2009-02-04
- ReactOS 0.3.9 - Released 2009-04-26
- ReactOS 0.3.10 - Released 2009-07-05
- ReactOS 0.3.11 - Released 2009-12-16
- ReactOS 0.3.12 - Released 2010-10-20
- ReactOS 0.3.13 - Released 2011-03-22
- ReactOS 0.3.14 - Released 2012-02-07
- ReactOS 0.3.15 - Released 2013-05-30
- ReactOS 0.3.16 - Released 2014-02-06
- ReactOS 0.3.17 - Released 2014-11-05
This is the Current Version that was Released on December 2015, Probably it will upcoming until 0.5.0.
- ReactOS 0.4.0 - Released 2015-12-12
- ReactOS 0.4.1 - Released 2016-05-16
- ReactOS 0.4.2 - Released 2016-08-16
- ReactOS 0.4.3 - Released 2016-11-16
- ReactOS 0.4.4 RC1 - Released 2017-01-31
- ReactOS 0.4.4 - Released 2017-02-16
- ReactOS 0.4.5 - Released 2017-05-13
- ReactOS 0.4.6 - TBA
Two Versions for ReactOS was included, after going ReactOS 1.0.0, not surely it will be final.
This will be planned supporting for NTFS Read & Write.
The Nightly Builds is called ReactOS Trunk Builds, Officially you can Test some Applications that can be used, Click Here if you want see some Versions included like 0.4-SVN and 0.5-SVN.